Friday, December 2, 2011

Just Right Books - December 2011

Ella is your classic 'doesn't always tell me everything about her day' kind of kindergartener.  So tonight when I was tucking her in and a big deal to mom kind of story spilled out I was not suprised.  She showed me her pile of books she was going to read before bed which triggered my memory of reading Mrs. Orkney's newsletter today about what went on this week which mentioned just right books.  So I asked her if she got hers and she said that she got to read by herself when the rest of the class read poems.  I couldn't quite tell from our conversation if she did it in the classroom once and then in anther class or what.  But she said that she got to read and was able to do so even though Mrs. Orkney was yelling out other kids names while they were reading poems.  So I wonder if she mentioned it and then was able to go to another room the next time.  I really have no idea except that she also said Mrs. Orkney took her to another room with two other adults besides herself.  One was a teacher and another had gray hair kind of like grandma Bonnie's she said:)  She got to pick out which book she wanted and she chose a book called Bookstore Cat about a cat who owned a bookstore visited by people.  She said she finished it and that her reading level is "I."  She didn't seem to be phased by the fact that she was the only one singled out which i think is great.  I hope she continues to enjoy it and learn from it.

Also tonight, dad was making a yummy candy bar pie and Ella saw the cocoa powder and asked dad for a taste of it.  Travis warned her that it was bitter.  "What's bitter?" she says to which dad answers something like not sweet.  She still is adament about trying some and upon trying it makes a terrible face and whine that she does not like it.  Keira inhales some on accident and immediately starts coughing.  Life is sweet!

1 comment:

Erica said...

that's my girl!

please have the camera ready if she ever asks about "sour"!